Thursday, June 07, 2007

Explain-Nation

I apologize for being away writing-wise. I was focused on a big project at work, and my thoughts were on things that either no one would find interesting, or things that I would rather keep private. This is why all I could write were cryptic little tidbits here and there, and from them you should be able to tell that I still do the same things I've always done -- mostly working, hanging out, and going to Cubs games. Also, I finished a really good book about ancient Rome, written by the same guy who wrote another one, both of which I absorbed intentionally slowly.

Anyway, with the project out of the way, I've been trying to figure out my next move. In anticipation, I've been reading news wire services, plotting a few charts, and tracking a handful of securities. That doesn't mean I want to do securities work -- I most definitely don't. The name of the game is spotting trends, looking out for the next opportunity, wherever it may be. In other words, I need to take my recent experiences and trade up. If it means going to work for the right kind of people, setting up my own shop of some sort, or tackling another project like the one I just did -- that I have yet to determine. Welcome to life, I guess, playing it when you want it to come to you. Don't you think?

Unfortunately, I do not cope with external change with anything approaching grace. I understand change as a concept of measurement (thank you calculus). I am good at making changes happen -- there's an asshole general lurking inside me, believe it or not -- and this ceaselessly restless portion of my personality tends to drive my actions, and I tend to fluctuate between active and distant. Sometimes the restlessness shows when it should not, and sometimes it doesn't show enough when it should. Sometimes I fear that what I'm thinking and how I appear to others does not match. What to do about it?

The simple answer: Fuck it -- start writing more.

So here we are.

To build a seemingly out-of-nowhere tangent, I would like to point out that the physical nature of our beings limits the potential number of decisions we might made from instance to instance. Therefore, if you put some thought to examining a small handful of ticks and tendencies of any given person, it is not impossible to figure out what might happen for at least a short period in the future. It's a parlor trick, but essential to the creative writing process, and I haven't had the time to practice it recently. I should now. I will now, damn it.

I guess I'm back to essay form, like Jordan wearin' the 45.


[There now, Paddy. Was it so difficult to make the time to sit down and write for a few hours? I guess, me. (Pause) Wait, what the hell am I talking to myself for? Oh, that's right -- because it's What I See. Almost forgot.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home