Sunday, February 04, 2007

Quote of the Weekend Etc.

Proehl: "I won't even talk to that deaf guy. I'm pretty sure he's a terrorist."



I wrote something last week about the mood in Chicago leading up to the Super Bowl -- not chest-thumping shit -- just observations about what it felt like around town before the big game. I didn't get to edit it, and though I still stand by the merits of the story, I am a little too dejected to post it. It was good though. Maybe I'll post it at some point.

[To continue avoiding the subject at hand even further... In case you haven't noticed, I've been editing myself way too much lately. I simply cannot dig down to let loose when I sit down to write. My natural inclination is to hold back, and I don't know why it's like that. I'm dealing with it.]

What happened tonight, in Super Bowl Ex-Lee (or, XLI, or whatever you want to call it, the 2007 one, for fuck's sake!): our D was on the field the whole second half. Rex-to-Muhsin was easier than Kretuz-to-Rex. Benson got hurt. The rain should have hurt Indy more, but they somehow slogged through to eek out a win. Peyton Manning, meet Albert Pujols: two athletes who won championships this year because their teams barely fucked up less than the other guys. The margin of error in sports is too narrow these days thanks to steroids.

Was that the worst weather in Super Bowl history? Someone at the party said they watched an old NFL championship game in Detroit where it was snowing, but that was back in the 1950s. The weather is not an excuse for an inability to take snaps, I'm just saying that it's weird how much it rained. And, why weren't the cameramen wiping off the lenses every once in a while? Didn't they realize how hard it was raining? It just goes to show, winter weather in Florida is not as nice as everyone thinks it is.

I saw a naked girl across the way at halftime, while freezing my tail off during a cig. I tried to tell as few people as possible, so as not to create a mob outside, but word got around and pretty soon everyone was trying to catch a glimpse of the naked girl. Dude, it was so much better than Prince.

Who was the MVP? Peyton? Was he really? But what'd he do? Not to sound bitter, but what a boring game, especially the second half! The Super Bowl is pretty much always boring. Even the commercials were gay. They seemed like every other commercial out there right now, with a slightly different setting for the same old joke. They need to bring me in there to shock the world into buying more Tide. I'd be like, "Tide. Makes boxers feel great against your schlong." Or something.

Anyway, the World Series kicks the Super Bowl's ass, but in consumerist America, it's hard to get suburban mommies to sit down and pay attention to five weeks of baseball -- a condition that's arisen thanks to the ridiculous expansionist policies of Alan H. "Bud the Cheese-Headed Ass-Tool-O'-Reinsdorf" Selig. What a bastard.

Ultimately, I am not overly saddened by this loss. After all, a new look Cubs squad will take the field in a few short weeks, and there's no reason not buy into the hype surrounding them. After all, with a new coach and some big spending, it's like 2003 all over again, baby! Let's hope that this time around we the fans don't beat ourselves...

And so, in spite of Chicago's first championship loss since the '91 Stanley Cup Finals, and even in the face of the c-c-c-current a-a-a-absurdly c-c-c-cold minus-25-degree wind chill, my steadfast adoration for Sweet Home remains strong as ever. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now, to be sure.

So, one more time for a great 2006 season, Bear down Chicago, blind terrorists or no.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home