Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Random Thought of the Day

Who says your wedding is the most important day of your life? How are you supposed to know if that day is really going to be much more important than all the rest to follow?

What if you find out that you have testicular cancer--wouldn't the day you go in to get your balls cut off rank a wee bit higher on the list than your wedding day?

What if you have kids? Isn't the promise of a new life more important than a socio-religious ritual?

What if the marriage fails? Wouldn't the divorce wind up being much more of a landmark event? And, what if you get re-married--is the second wedding necessarily more important than the first?

What if you get drafted, and you suddenly find yourself storming some beach in North Korea or Africa or some other shithole? Wouldn't saving your ass from flying mortars and landmines far outweigh a huge party?

What if you win the lotto?

I want to get married at some point, don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to it, in fact. But I don't want to go into it with all the pressure associated with automatically labeling it "the" most important day in my life, because I'll always consider the most important day of my life to be out there on the time horizon somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home