Saturday, November 12, 2005

GD-Related Random Thoughts

I was just listening to B.C.T. 08/21/72, and I finally understood lyrics from "My & My Uncle" that sounded like mubles the other thousand-odd times I listened to that song. "Picked up a bottle / rapped him in the jaw." Now I can't remember what I used to think Bob was singing. How weird is that? If you're a big fan of teases and jams, those shows are full of them. What a great run.


Do you think Pigpen would have stayed in the band for all 30 years? Do you think he could have convinced Garcia to stop using heroin?


This afternoon I was listening to the longest "Dark Star" on record, Rotterdam 05/11/72. It's downright hysterical how badly Phil wants to do "Bird Song." Did you know they dropped it for almost a year, from summer '71 to summer '72? It's really too bad, because their style of play during that period would have made for some beautiful versions. Then again, right when they they introduced it back into the repertoire, they launched into super-jazzy mode, so maybe "Bird Song" acted as the catalyst for the shift.

Setlists can be misleading, and revisiting a theme does not necessarily indicate the strength of the show. Sometimes the return to a theme is purposeful and driven, resulting from the band's collective thought, like Paris 05/03/72. Other times they go back to it by default, because they've gotten lost in the jam, and the version is not too inspired, such as San Diego 11/14/73. I only bring this up because, over the last several days, I've been furiously flipping back and forth between Furthurnet and Archive.org, attempting to gather all the multiple "Other One" shows.


Early '70s Dead is the best. I would give anything to go back in time and see the Wall of Sound in all its glory.



I love the Dead as much as I did ten years ago, and the reason is simple: They made freely available such a massive amount of great material, that it's practically impossible to run out of new things to discover. Who says the Dead are dead?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home