Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Gaggle of Thoughts

My lunch partner today offered up the following: "I mentioned to my daughter just the other day, the one thing that's really strikes me about people of your generation is, there's a genuine dedication to honesty. Like, guys my age, we were raised to be bullshit artists. But kids these days are somehow more noble than us." I took that as a compliment--we are, after all, the evolution of the social revolution, even though the social revolutionaries turned into Me Generation bastards.


Incidentally, at that same meeting, which took place at a health club dining room, I had an unsatisfying bowl of soup that amounted to water, chopped vegetables, and a little pepper. Health food blows.


I'm still feeling the effects of introducing an empty stomach to a number of Fat Tires. Ellen said, "What Bell's Oberon is to Mike Sheehan, Fat Tire is to me." I second that, little lady!


Essential reading for Dahlgren, Master At-The-Bat, and any other baseball fan getting geared up for the new season: Baseball Prospectus.


I would kill to go to the airport and hit up Spring Training right now.


One way in which Panic and the Dead are strikingly similar: Jerry, Bob, and JB sometimes forget the words during super-heated jams; these fumbles are completely acceptable.


What's up with things? I mean, there are so many of them out there that it's tough to get a handle sometimes.


I hate to say it, but I've got a bearish outlook on the economy in the short-term. Why? If I could pinpoint the reason exactly, I'd bet on it--just a strong gut feeling.


"Yeah, I know it's stupid, but what am I supposed to do about it?" Ya know? Sheesh!


I am sick and tired of logging on to Cubs.com and having that sappy video promoting the World Baseball Classic pop on automatically. Then again, since nobody knows how this event is going to be received, it's impossible to guess the best way to promote it. It is not going to have World Series intensity. It'll be like a better version of the Olympics, maybe, but not October baseball.


I hate playing games with people; it's such a waste of time. State your point, and let's just get on with it. Why go out of your way to muddle everything?


Why does every story about Mark Prior contain a phrase along the lines of "continuing to make progress?" What exactly is he progressing from? He didn't finish on the d.l. or have any type of surgery. By all appearances, he's as healthy as any other 27-year old athlete. There's this automatic level of doom surounding this club. I'm sick of it. Just freakin' get the job done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home