Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Content Suggestion Response

I've taken a bit of flak lately over the fact that I only seem to write about my own experiences or, alternatively, baseball. Also, my brother has taken to coming over at the end of particularly fantastic nights to exclaim, "Paddy! You should write about my night on your blog!"

As a reaction to both of these sentiments, it's clear to me now that the time has come to go off into uncharted grounds, by discussing a much wider variety of germane topics, few of which will have anything to do with me. For example, no longer will I attempt to comment on a ridiculous exchange with a stranger on the street. Never again will you hear me mention a strange occurrence on an L platform. Not once more will you find mention on these solemn pages of discussions with friends, family, or random folks about topics wide and varied. I will all but totally abandon discussion of fantastic double plays, Villanova basketball, favorite restaurants, and the like. I will try to write about what other people tell me, and how they fell about things--in other words taking second-hand accounts and making them my own. From now on, I will keep it real as defined by what other people think is real. Further, I will do my best to become a much more mundane writer, for your own sake, so that you might become bored, rather than amused. Comedic commentary is no longer my game.

Like hell.

I am a bit tired of having to clarify the purpose of this site. What I See was never meant to be a ship's log of my life, and I would never claim that to be the case. Though the banner on the top of this site reads "What I See," it would at times be more aptly entitled, "What I Recall." Forgive me for my occasional consolidations, dwellings, or ramblings; it is always for the story's sake. Anyway, let me ask you this: have you ever tried to sit down hours after the fact and tried to re-assemble the happenings of a particular blurry night? I bet not. And, if you were successful in your endeavor to recall the most miniscule of every detai of any particular night, I doubt you'd be nearly as successful as I, or, if you were, I'd bet you hadn't nearly enough to drink to make it very interesting in the first place.

So, regardless of the peanut gallery’s cries against these pages, let it be known that this has always been meant as a venue for the best of what remains of my thoughts, and/or what comes to mind when I sit down at the computer. I am not perfect, and neither are you. But maybe, in some way, through these pages, when I point out things that provide us all with a little amusement, we can feel better about ourselves and the world around us by thinking in unison, "Yeah, that's exceptionally goofy!" I do not, nor would I ever, purport to be the New York Times. On the contrary, I'd rather be a part of the supplemental materials of life, the reporter in charge of covering things that would never, not in a million years, make the cover of any respectable newspaper or journal. This is "What I See," or "What I Remember," and, by whichever phrasing you prefer, what I choose to relate can be pretty messed up. So, let's not make this more than it really is. Enjoy it and move on.

Also, as I look back through my January posts, I have to admit that I am slightly disappointed with my output, both in terms of post content and length. I promise that this will not become a continuing trend, so keep checking back often.

With that, read on, kind soldiers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home